Above the door in De-La-Beche Street
Dynevor School, Swansea started life as a higher grade elementary school in Trinity Place in 1883, transferring to new premises in Dynevor Place in 1894. In 1907 it became the Swansea Municipal Secondary School for Boys. The buildings being extended in 1929 but damaged during the Blitz of 1941.
From 1944 to 1971 the school was known as Dynevor Grammar School, then became a senior comprehensive. In 1978 it merged with the Llwyn-y-Bryn Girls School to become Dynevor School. In 2001 the School merged with Dillwyn Llewelyn School to become the Dylan Thomas Community School. The school eventually closed in 2002.
The Albert Hall in the middle of the 19th Century – Houses behind it on the left of the image were later replaced with Dynevor Grammar School
Dynevor from Mount Pleasant
Artists impression Dynevor School in 1929 from bottom of Mount Pleasant Hill
The ruins of Dynevor Grammar School – School Hall in foreground, Girls Block to the right, Boys to the left
Bomb damaged Girls Block of the school from across the internal school yard
Centre of the photo shows the “Fives” courts (like Squash) but played with your hands!
Dynevor most likely in late 1950s
Not much in the way of a City Centre in 1950
Dynevor burnt out school hall looking towards what is today the Kingsway
The School Badge – the Latin inscription means “Nothing without effort”
School colours – tie and scarf from the 1960s
1st form 1963
Dynevor school from Alexandra Road