This gallery contains 33 photos.
some images of wartime damage to the town of swansea Continue reading
Constructed during the late 18th Century, this well known local building in Castle Street Swansea was very much a landmark until late into the 20th Century. It had functioned at various times as a Civic Office, Labour Exchange and eventually as offices for a local newspaper – the South Wales Evening Post.
Eventually it became vacant and fell into decline and was demolished and the area landscaped as part of the ground of the remaining Castle-keep
Picton House at the corner of Gower Street (later the Kingsway) and Dillwyn Street in 1935,showing a busy car dealer’s site with Dillwyn St to the right, today the popular “Potters Wheel” Public House is to be found on this site.
Dillwyn Street, today a rather delapidated little street with the road widened into a dual carriage-way, was in days gone by a very busy and popular area filled with small shops and linking Oxford Street and what is today the Kingsway.
An earlier view showing Picton House. The building on the right became the Headquarters of the Swansea branch of the
Naval and Military Club
The location of the South Prospect was in the Strand at the bottom of Morris Lane which descends from High Street.
Phillips Parade is a small street immediately adjacent to the then Swansea hospital which itself has now been replaced by a number of flats built in a style sympathetic to the look and feel of the sites former occupant. The photograph above is of some wartime damage that rolled a bombing raid in 1941.
High Street was the centre of early town life and the Cameron Hotel was a terminus for local tram routes a very popular and busy street. Sadly today it is a shadow of its former self, very run-down and does not present a good impression to those arriving at the City’s Railway Station.
Thankfully some regeneration work is in progress in a sympathetic less modernist style.
NEAR the top of Swansea’s High Street stands the lilac-coloured residential block Mackworth Court, owned by the Coastal Housing Group which has been built on the site of The Angel Hotel itself built in 1889 for an entrepreneur R E Jones. In order to enlarge The Angel, which was conveniently near the Great Western Railway station, Jones purchased for demolition the adjacent Capel Seion, a Welsh congregational chapel, which was then relocated to Henrietta Street.
After purchasing the name and licence of the old Mackworth Arms Hotel in Wind Street (demolished in 1898 to make way for the new head Post Office), Jones renamed his hotel “The Angel” to The Mackworth Hotel, and the new venue became Swansea’s foremost hotel for much of the 20th century, popular for wedding receptions and dinner dances (having a resident orchestra). Famous guests were Dame Vera Lynn and the comedy duo Laurel and Hardy, who stayed when appearing at the Empire Theatre in Oxford Street in September 1952.
The Mackworth was the scene of a murder in 1958, when its proprietor Eric Battye was stabbed to death. The Hotel closed in 1967 and was demolished in the 1970s.
This gallery contains 5 photos.
Some of the damage to the town centre in the 1941 Blitz
This gallery contains 11 photos.
Connecting Caer Street and Temple Street, and running parallel to Castle Street, this street ceased to exist after the war in the redevelopment of the totally destroyed town centre.
All the buildings on Caer Street were totally destroyed in the Blitz of the town in February 1941, only the original footprint of the road surface remains with all the building replaced with modern shops and a Departmental store later converted to a Pub and an open pedestrian area which itself replaced the 1950s Rest Gardens (later Castle Gardens) on the site of the earlier impressively fronted Ben Evans store.
The building which later houses stores like “Sydney Heath”, “Treasure” and today serves as Yates, a Public House