This gallery contains 9 photos.
Picton House at the corner of Gower Street (later the Kingsway) and Dillwyn Street in 1935,showing a busy car dealer’s site with Dillwyn St to the right, today the popular “Potters Wheel” Public House is to be found on this site.
Dillwyn Street, today a rather delapidated little street with the road widened into a dual carriage-way, was in days gone by a very busy and popular area filled with small shops and linking Oxford Street and what is today the Kingsway.
Again, Swansea’s Dillwyn Street shown possibly in the 1950s showing some shops, one store built in a post war modernist style, possibly making use of existing Army “Nissan” hut sheds erected during the immediate post war period on an open site where space was needed for trading. This arched contruction was quite commonplace in the immediate post-war era.
An earlier view showing Picton House. The building on the right became the Headquarters of the Swansea branch of the
Naval and Military Club
Today Gloucester Place has been transformed and renovated. It is Swansea best example of Georgian Frontages and has been used for location filming in television shows like “Doctor Who”. The former South Dock Pump House, now a Pub and Restaurant sits at its lower end where the streets enters into the Marina – formerly the town’s South Dock.
The Oscar Chess garage in Gloucester Place pictured some time in the 1960s. The block of Georgian houses next to it once housed the Gloucester Public house, scene of a murder for which the wrongdoer was hanged in 1889. This street has also been featured in episodes of Doctor Who.
Wind street, currently a most lively and attractive street with a host of well preserved facades housing a host of pubs restaurants and bars with the dubious notoriety of being the 2nd most dangerous street in the UK for a night-out. In more recent times locally its name is sometimes corrupted to “Wine” Street.
One of the very oldest streets in the town it has seen many changes both to road layout and its buildings.
This view is from the Museum towards Oldway House which in April 2013 has been demolished. St David’s catholic Church can be seen in the foreground.