Long gone distinctive red-brick frontages on the small houses of New Orchard Street Swansea where we find ourselves gazing to the south towards the Police Station on the junction of Orchard Street and Alexandra Road. These houses were demolished in the late 1970s, in their place are blocks of flats and a dual carriageway leading to the junction of roads at Dyfatty.
The river Tawe was navigable for about 2 miles inland in the past whilst today the way upstream is blocked by a weir and marina. Some of the earliest photographs ever taken in the world by Fox-Talbot were of ships berthed at Swansea in the river at low tide. Continue reading →
This street widened and given grand buildings after a slum clearance programme initiated by a revue in 1852 housed the Public Library, the Police Station, an Ice-rink, The Art Gallery and more latterly offices for the BBC in Swansea. Continue reading →
Princess Way was created in 1960 by widening the streets of Fisher Street, Cross Street and the totally destroyed Goat Street and demolishing existing properties, it became popular for the lawns and flower beds of Castle Gardens created on the site of the former Ben Evans Store.
This attractive garden was itself removed in favour of a concrete expanse with fountains and concrete ramps much favoured by skateboarders. The site houses an annual Christmas market.
Fisher Street 1960 making way for Princess Way
The ornate 18th Century fountain centrepiece of Castle Gardens was moved to Singleton park after it was vandalised
Building the fountain in the late 1950s
Oldest on the street
At 2-4 Princess Way we find a Grade II Listed Building built in 1874-5 in a Victorian Gothic style. The frontage is composed of blocks of Pennant Sandstone with the dressings of badly weathered Bath stone.