Today Fisher street has been replaced with the Princess Way Dual carriageway. Notice that in St Marys Street, the oldest pub in town – The Cross Keys Inn which today fronts the road and faces St Mary’s Church is in fact not on a corner, but a little way into St Marys Street itself.
Note also the vehicles stored on the rook of a building in Fisher Street which have been accessed from a garage entrance in a lane off St Marys street (formerly Frog Street) next to the church.
This gallery contains 19 photos.
The town church of St Mary, which was upgraded at the end of the 19th Century to replace an earlier more modest building was badly damaged in 1941 and had to be re-roofed and repaired in the 1950s. The grounds which were quite small, bounded by houses. The graveyard was cleared extended and then lawned in an effort to create a more open and pleasant area with many of the older gravestones were transferred to the side of the building where they now form paving to a path that runs around the structure. Continue reading
This gallery contains 5 photos.
in the 1960s the street functioned mainly as a bus terminus for the “South Wales Transport” bus company which circled St Marys church with their routes, coming in via Princess Way and leaving via Rutland Street. Today Calvert Street functions as a taxi rank and has only one large departmental store facing St Marys Church, the building having been created in the 1970’s Continue reading